What is Advanced Phonics?
Advanced Phonics includes the following skills:
2) Open syllables
3) Vowel teams
Why is understanding advanced phonics important to reading?
Advanced phonics instruction teaches students how to decode by using word analysis of advanced phonics patterns, basic syllable types (except for CVC), and the morphological features of words. These skills are necessary to read most texts.
What tasks should students be able to demonstrate to indicate mastery of this skill?
The students learns the sounds:
- Vowel digraphs ( 2 vowels come together ai , ee, ue)
- Consonant digraphs( sh, ch, th)
- Dipthongs/ alternatives( aw, ow, au)
- Tricky words / sight words ( the, are and 100 more words)
- Soft c and soft g ( simple spelling rule but very helpful)